Join the movement to fight food waste as we draw inspiration from the techniques and practices of restaurants in a New Dubai neighbourhood.
- This event will run once, on March 23, 2019.
- 4:00PM to 8:00PM
- The tour requires a minimum of 6 guests; we may cancel and refund tickets if the minimum is not met.
- Walking only; distance covered is ~0.9km/0.6 mi with stops in between.
- Tastings include Gluten/Lactose/Dairy/Nuts. Please notify us of severe allergies.
- Dress to walk – wear comfortable shoes and clothing.
- Carry earphones for our audio guide system.
- The minimum age to join the tour is 14 years.
Investigate the effects and impact of food waste on the environment – a topic that’s close to the hearts of the Frying Pan team and the chefs behind some of Dubai’s newer dining concepts. We’ll savour waste-free dishes from across the globe in addition to learning how cultures and communities have battled this issue through the ages.
- Sample delectable ‘kitchen scrap’ dishes from three cultures.
- Discover three of our favourite, tucked-away eateries in JLT.
- Discover ways to turn kitchen and pantry scraps into tasty meals.
- Explore zero-waste dining ideas that will make you a more responsible gourmand.
This tour is designed in collaboration with TerraLoop Food Loss & Waste Consultants and JLT Dining.
TerraLoop FZE is an environmental consultancy that focuses on reducing food waste and raising awareness around the topic of Zero Waste. They develop customized solutions that support food waste reduction and lighten your carbon footprint.
JLT Dining is Dubai’s vibrant business & residential neighbourhood with over 200 independent eateries. It is the only restaurant listing and foodie community which focuses exclusively on JLT.
We’ll meet outside DMCC metro station, Exit 1 (Landside).
Please be on time, we don’t wait for latecomers!
We recommend that you take the metro or a taxi to the trail start due to the scarce parking and 3-hour time limit.
If you do choose to drive, please budget extra time for traffic and finding a parking spot.
#Sufra refers to our program of limited edition experiences that go beyond our regular food tours. It includes food walks along new routes, taste battles to find the ‘Best of…” something delicious in the city, culinary road trips and more. Our team is constantly researching and collaborating with the broader food community, so that you can savour unique foods, cultures and communities nurtured in Dubai and the neighbouring Emirates.
Yes, we welcome all residents and visitors! Anyone can join by booking the listed #Sufra events on our calendar.
Yes! Some experiences do have a minimum or maximum group size limit. In most cases, we would be happy to adapt an existing #Sufra event for your private party or corporate team.
Here’s how, and if any one or more of these distinguishing features resonate with you, then you’re our perfect #Sufra guest:
- Stronger community focus – You’re eager to connect with other intellectually curious members of our community, over a common passion for food, culture and exploration.
- More dynamic and collaborative – You’d rather be involved in discussions moderated by a Sufra host, rather than being “guided on a tour;” you leave the event knowing that the dialogues you had within the group added richness to the experience.
- More fringe discoveries – You already know the not-so-secret “hidden gems” in the city; you’re looking to access those cultures, conversations and experiences that are rarely on the mainstream radar. They’re either reserved to a few cultural circles or are often discovered only by people with special insider access, e.g. journalists.
- Less structured, more fluid – You simply want to have a fun, not overly planned outing with like-minded people who love food!